Jefferson Community College Website

SUNY Jefferson

    Application FAQs

    1. What is a matriculated student? A matriculated student is one who has formally applied and been accepted into a degree or certificate program. ONLY matriculated students may be eligible to receive financial aid and be awarded a certificate or degree.
    2. What is the difference between full-time and part-time study? Full-time or part-time study is determined by the number of credits a student takes each semester. Full-time students are enrolled in 12 credits or more; part-time students are enrolled in fewer than 12 credits.
    3. What is the difference between an A.S. and A.A.S. degree? A.S. degrees are designed to prepare a student for transfer into a baccalaureate degree program. An A.A.S. degree prepares students for employment directly after graduation with their associate degree.
    4. What if I am uncertain regarding my program choice? We will preliminarily place you in Liberal Arts & Sciences, Humanities & Social Sciences to start. You can discuss your options with Career Services and your advisor and, if desired, update your major at a later time.
    5. When should I apply? It is recommended to apply early because students who apply early will have the best opportunity to select the courses and times they want.
    6. When I apply for admissions, how soon will I hear from SUNY Jefferson? Once an application is complete student is typically notified of their admission within 48 hours.
    7. Do I need to take the assessment test? A determination is made once we receive your official high school and college transcripts. The goal of assessment testing is to give each student the best start! A study guide is available online.
    8. Do I have to come to campus for an assessment test? No. If you live 50+ miles from campus, you can arrange to take your assessment testing at a location near you. Email for info.
    9. Does SUNY Jefferson offer on-campus housing? Yes. There is a required $250 deposit (applied to your room& board expense). Room assignments are made first-come first-served. Visit for info.
    10. What is advisement and registration? Once accepted to a particular program, students can register. The advisor and student discuss the student’s academic and career plans and then formally register for classes.
    11. I’ve been out of school for 15 years; do I need my high school transcripts? Yes, the admissions process requires verification of high school graduation for all applicants. If providing this documentation is a problem,contact us for a solution to discuss your options.
    12. I want to obtain a bachelor’s degree. Will my SUNY Jefferson credits transfer to a college or university offering a bachelor’s degree? The academic credits you earn at SUNY Jefferson will transfer to colleges or universities in the United States. SUNY Jefferson has agreements with SUNY colleges & many private colleges.Transfer agreements mean that you are provided optional advisement and opportunities for successful transfer.
    13. Do you offer courses or degree programs online? Yes! Please see section 5 of the application.
    14. Are there campus tours? Yes! Tours are available upon request. SUNY Jefferson also offers an opportunity for students to shadow classes for the day. Call or email to set up a time to visit.
    15. What is the Educational Opportunity Program (EOP)? Jefferson Community College's Educational Opportunity Program serves as a primary vehicle for increasing access to college, student retention and degree completion to underserved students. We are committed to providing timely access to academic, personal and social support services.